Primers sticking to the decapping pin on your Dillon die? This solution will end your suffering.
About 10 years ago I bought my Dillon XL650 reloading press. It has been a workhorse that has produced many hundreds of thousands of rounds for me and I love it. Parts have worn out, Dillon has replaced them, and every problem I’ve ever had has been solved. One particular issue lasted for years and was only recently resolved fully.
From the very beginning I noticed that once in a great while I would see a finished round that had a spent primer rather than a new, unfired primer. I would set these rounds aside then eventually pull the bullet and powder to be reused. Over the years the rate went from <1% to upwards of 20%, at which point it become intolerable. I contacted Dillon first about five years ago. I was told to grind the tip of the decapping pin flat. This actually made the problem worse so I called them again and was told to grind the tip to a point. This seemed to improve things so I let it go. Unfortunately over time the failure rate crept back to >20% and I just couldn’t stand it any longer.
I began to search online for a solution and one suggestion I hadn’t seen before was to grind the tip into a pyramid shape. I called Dillon and the fellow with whom I spoke agreed that was probably the best solution. I got out my dremel and made a four-sided, steep (around 55 degrees), pyramid shape with a flat tip. One last thing I did that I hadn’t heard but seemed like a good idea anyway was to polish the pin. I got out my Flitz and a buffing wheel and made that pin look like chrome. The results have been spectacular. Out of the last 600 rounds I had 2 spent primers in the finished rounds. Hurray!
I can foresee the need to polish again over time but it would be a small price to pay for the increased productivity and reduced aggravation.
Let me know if you try this and how it worked for you. Good luck!